Mahatma Gandhi University, Priyadarsini Hills P O,
Kottayam-686560.Tl:04812731034, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
One day Seminar on Down Syndrome:Intervention and Management on 21.03.2017 <Brochure>
School of Behavioural Sciences established in 1988 is the only University department in South India that conducts higher education programmes and research on disability and rehabilitation. The School develops rehabilitation professionals and researchers in different areas namely Rehabilitation Psychology, Special Education, Behavioural Medicine, Rehabilitation Nursing and Guidance Counselling. The School conducts community extension programmes at three levels- school (regular and special schools), college and community. The School has a Vocational Rehabilitation Centre for the adult mentally retarded persons.
• To impart advanced training in all areas of disability
• To develop comprehensive management programmes for various disabilities
• To empower the parents of the disabled
• To rehabilitate the disabled
• PhD (Doctoral and Post-doctoral programmes in Special Education, Psychology, Behavioural Medicine,Rehabilitation Nursing)
•MPhil in Rehabilitation Psychology
• MPhil in Special Education and Rehabilitation Sciences
• MPhil in Behavioural Medicine and Rehabilitation (full time and Part time)
• MPhil in Behavioural Sciences and Rehabilitation Nursing
• MSc Psychology
• MSc Disability Studies and Rehabilitation Sciences
• PG Diploma in Indian Sign Language
• Child Guidance Clinic and Family Counselling Centre
• Adolescent Guidance programmes in schools
• Youth programmes in colleges
• Disability rehabilitation programmes in the community including prevention and management
• Community development projects in Socio-Culturally Backward Communities
• Awareness generation programmes related to women’s needs.
• Special Education (Mental Retardation)
• Special Education (Auditory Handicapped)
• Special Education (Visual Impairment)
• Special Education (Learning Disability)
• Behavioural Medicine
• Rehabilitation Nursing
• Research Methodology and Statistics
• Health and Behavioural Sciences and Disability Studies.
Application for Admission to PG Diploma in Indian Sign Language
School of Behavioural Sciences
|Sl No||Title of the Programme||Eligibility||Intake||Duration (Yrs)|
|1||M.Sc Disability Studies andRehabilitation Sciences||Degree in Arts with not less than 45% marks or any science degree with minimum of 50% marks||12||2 (4 sem)|
|2||M.Sc. Psychology||B.A. or BSc Psychology with not less than 50% marks||10||2 (4 sem)|
|3||M.Phil Special Education and Rehabilitation Sciences||PG in special education / M.Ed. degree with not less than 55% marks||4||1 (2 sem)|
|4||M.Phil Rehabilitation Psychology||Masters degree in Psychology with not less than 55% marks||4||1 (2 sem)|
|5||M.Phil Behavioural Medicine and Rehabilitation (Full time)||MBBS with not less than 55% marks. Preference to PG holders in medicine||4||1 (2 sem)|
|6||M.Phil Behavioural Medicine and Rehabilitation (Part time)||MBBS with not less than 55% marks. Preference to PG holders in medicine||4||2 (2 sem)|
|7||M.Phil Behavioural Science and Rehabilitation Nursing||MSc Nursing with not less than 55% marks.||1 (2 sem)|
|8||Ph.D: (1). Special Education, (2). Psychology, (3). Behavioural Medicine and (4). Rehabilitation Nursing.|
Professor & H.O.D.
Dr.Rajeev Kumar .N., Tel: 99950 41288
Ms. Sophia Joseph ,Ms. Mary Nedunilath
|School of Behavioural Sciences|
|SL NO||Reseach Areas|
|10||Guidance & Counselling|
School of Behavioural Sciences
Community Extension Activities
Other Extension activities
a) Swanthanam Clinic
Instituted a clinic for the services of the disabled children on 6th November 1991. The children identified with various disabilities from schools and other community areas are given counselling and practical guidance for rehabilitation. The clinic serves as the practical laboratory for the M.Phil and M.Sc. students. The clinic extends its services to hundreds of children with behavioural problems, leaning problems and other disabilities. .
b) Vocational rehabilitation unit
A rehabilitation unit for adult mentally retarded individuals has been established. Office files made by the mentally challenged are supplied to the university office and other institutions.
c) Vending Machines
As the part of income generating programme to person with mental retardation, the school provides 3 units of vending machines. These machines are operated in the campus by the trainees of the vocational rehabilitation unit.
d) Photostat Machine
A Photostat machine is installed under the vocational rehabilitation unit which provides employment to person with mental retardation to serve the campus students
e) Services to the public by the faculty
– Assessment and counselling of disabled children
– Counselling service to parents and siblings of disabled children
– Assessment of addict’s alcoholics and providing services
– Training to NSS volunteers, teachers, health professionals, industrial workers etc.
f) Behavioural Science Association
Departmental students researchers and teaching & non-teaching staff are its members. This forum discusses various academic matters, matters related to research and job placement.
g) Alumni Association
A Vibrant Alumni is associated with the school. Meetings of alumni association are held at least once in every year. This forum helps students to find job placement and to provide additional facilities to the students.
h) Publication of books
Books related to disability rehabilitation, mental health, counselling etc. are periodically published by the faculty.
(l). Lahariyodu Vida, (2). Vykalyangale 4 Ariyuka Athijeevikkuka, (3). Epilepsy, (4). Mental Disorders, (5). Child Psychology, (6). Social work. Why? How? (7). Psychology for Health professionals, (8). Parental involvement in the education of mentally handicapped children.
i) Collaboration with other institutions
– Collaboration with NSS in conducting various community based rehabilitation programmes.
– Organizes seminars/workshops and training programmes in collaboration with department of Adult and continuing education.
– Have undertaken several research programmes in inter disciplinary areas collaborating with other department and universities.
– Have established liaison with NGOs functioning in health related areas
– Faculty members are working as consultants for several agencies and industries like KITCO, LIC, FACT, Railway etc.
– Active participations in planning forums. Panchayat and other community development forums.
– School has been selected as centre of excellence in counselling by National AIDS Control Society and is providing training for AIDS counsellors.
j) Student Counselling
The Teachers spend two hours per day with students to find out their problems, academic and otherwise. Students are given extra help and guidance in all the areas where they need help. Student counselling has become part and parcel of the academic programme of the school.
School of Behavioural Sciences
Financial aid to the students
Sc/ST/OEC students are given fee concessions and stipend throughout the period of their studies, Merit scholarship are given to two students from each course of study that holds the first and second position in their qualifying degrees. Research students are providing with monthly stipend at the rate of Rs. 4500 for the first two years and Rs5000 for the following years.